This coming week we will be trying out a large box of produce, a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) Box from a local farm. It's a great way to get healthy fresh produce and support our local farmers. We are trying to eat more healthy and add more fruits and veggies to our diet, so I'm hoping this box will inspire us to do that. I am also anticipating it will help introduce us to produce we normally would not buy. We're trying the CSA program from Underwood Family Farms in Moorpark, CA. The cost for a large box is around $25. Based on what I currently spend at the grocery store, and the fact that every time I go to their produce stand I end up spending around $30, this is a very reasonable cost and an investment for our family's health. They have a deal going right now where if you sign up for a subscription you get 1 week FREE! (See link below.) If we end up liking the CSA program, another great benefit is that we get free admission to the farm! Our family loves this farm and all of the wonderful activities they have for the kids. We currently have season passes, but if we continue as active CSA members, we won't have to pay for the season pass, another added money saving benefit!
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/New-CSA-Sites---Sign-Up-Now---Receive-FREE-box.html?soid=1100495255736&aid=hXwRZT1b_9I
It's the weekend now, so I have a tiny bit of extra time on my hands, but once the busy week begins, I have found it really hard to just plan meals day by day. So, some meal planning is in order. I used to meal plan every week, but I fell off the wagon. Luckily this farm posts what you're going to get in the box ahead of time. I am using www.supercook.com to search for recipes. I love this site because it's customizable. You enter what food you have as well as staples in your pantry and it comes up with a list of recipes. You simply click on the ingredient you want to highlight & it lists a whole bunch of recipes for that item. So, for example, I am getting the following in my box this week:
1 basket Raspberries
3 Bi-color Corn
1 Green Leaf Lettuce
1 bunch Red Chard
1 Cherokee Tomato
1 Texas Sweet Onion
1 French Morning Melon
1 Saticoy Melon
1 pound Yellow Wax Beans
I entered these items into my Supercook account and updated some other staples in my pantry. I first decided to highlight the chard, since I don't think I've ever cooked it! Immediately a whole list of links to recipes showed up. I chose a chard & beans recipe, thinking it will be a great way to use 2 of the week's ingredients together. I will continue with other produce as well as some chicken and beef I have on hand to continue my meal planning for the week. I am planning on doing this on a weekly basis, writing the plan on a magnetic calendar I have on my refrigerator. I am also going to print out the recipes and arrange them in order on a magnetic clip on my refrigerator as well. With a little planning, meal time will be a little less stressful and a lot more tasty!
No comments :
Post a Comment