Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

The "100 Thing Challenge" & Tiny Tasks

Hello! I just finished reading the book "100 Thing Challenge" by Dave Bruno. I got the Kindle edition for my iPod touch.

I naturally love books about organization & simplification - it's my nature! I can honestly say Dave took a journey I think we should all consider, at least in some form. He purged his stuff down to 100 things and lived with only 100 things for 1 year. I don't think 100 is the goal for all of us (and neither does he) but if we set some kind of specific goal to live with less I believe it would have a profound impact on our lives. I won't give too much of the book away - there were details covered such as how he defined the 100 things (he has a family of 5, so some definitions were clearly necessary!), revelations he got from the experience & great insights on American-style consumerism. I'll be sharing with you this week some of my aha's and paring down projects I am undergoing as a result of being inspired by Dave. He also offers some great insights on his Blog and the 100 Thing Challenge Facebook Page.

I'll admit being inspired to downsize can also be a bit overwhelming. In the past BK (Before Kids), I would go after a project with gusto on a weeknight or weekend, get it done & feel quite accomplished. Now, in order to accomplish my projects, it takes more planning, more patience, and some creativity to see them through. It also takes longer than I'd usually like, but that's something I'm getting used to as the result of the blessing of having a family. In order to not overwhelm myself, I've decided to break up my simplification projects into "Tiny Tasks." This term is not something I came up with. I got it from Geralin Thomas, a fellow Professional Organizer whom you may have seen on an episode of "Hoarders." On her Facebook page she occasionally posts great Tiny Tasks for the day - little organization projects or tasks that can make a big difference. I love them! I think those of us who just don't have hours upon hours like we would like to have to focus on such projects should view our "Tiny Tasks" as our way to see things through. They won't be overwhelming, and we can still get a sense of accomplishment.

For a long time I've known that simplifying my household & paring stuff down helps a ton with housework, efficiency & being able to focus on more meaningful experiences & quality time spent with loved ones. Heck, I even was quoted by Peter Walsh in his book "Lighten Up" on the subject! Here's my quote from page 24:
"Dear Peter, Going from two incomes to one was and still is quite a transition. However, we've been able to handle that transition quite well. We've gotten rid of many extra expenses, I buy used baby gear and clothes when I can, I cut coupons, use cloth diapers, and we're always looking for what else we can cut out. I have discovered that there is something very freeing in my spirit when I live a simpler life. I am finding that with less stuff, only the essentials and stuff that is really important to me, it's a lot easier to clean my house and I actually am less stressed and able to spend more quality time with my family. It has made me reflect on times when life was simpler, too. We don't need extra storage garages or more stuff piled in the garage: we just need to honor and support our life with what matters most, and what matters most is not the stuff clogging up my closet!"

However, I have been struggling so much to see things through because of my busy life. I think things got a little bit more out of control when my daughter was born. Adding a second child put a lot of stuff on the back burner, and for good reason! Stuff has piled up yet again & stuff is all over the place. It's been very frustrating! So, let's start getting back on track with some Tiny Tasks and take steps on this journey together.

1 comment :

  1. Good one, I'm sure you can nail it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete